Monday, October 31

Am I Naive?

This Halloween, I decided to take Ellie trick or treating in my sister's nicer (better candy) neighborhood. But this left a dilemma...should I leave out the candy for the trick or treaters in my neighborhood or just close house?...imagine 3 little kids in their cute costumes and tiny plastic bags walking towards my house...the kids and I make eye contact...the kids and Ellie make eye contact...Ellie gives them her classic "what do you want?" dirty look...I hurry and buckle Ellie into the car...the kids are now making a mad dash to the house, hoping to catch me in time to beg for candy...I hurry into the car, turn the engine...the kids run even faster towards the driveway now. But if they think I'm not going to execute my "I never saw you drive of shame" out of the driveway and down the street because of their presence, boy! are they naive!

But I could do no such thing. Actually, I put tea lights in all three of our pumpkins, left our porch light on, placed a gigantic bowl of candy on a table, brought out a 3 foot teddy bear and sat him next to the table, and left a sign out on our door that read, "please help yourself". In the past, our neighborhood got 15-20 trick or treaters at most and considering that almost half of them had already come before dark, I didn't feel uneasy leaving them out so I headed for my sister's place.

I guess I am naive as well. When I came back home, I found Mr.Bear sitting next to an empty bowl. Did one group of kids wipe out the entire bowl of candy or did Mr. Bear eat them all?

Hmmm...next year...candy corn and raisin boxes as punishment!

(Ellie refused to dress up as Funshine Bear, so we did not go trick or treating, but she got a huge goody bag and a blue lollipop from Emoh). Visit hyungboo's site for pics of Ellie refusing to put on her costume..."no bear! no bear! no bear!"

2 comments:

Caffeinator said...

leaving a bowl of candy out in front invites any kid or group of kids to simply dump the entire contents into their bags and run. not surprising at all that it happened - next time, just turn all the lights off if you have to leave - no guilty conscience about it, other parents do the same, I'm sure...

jon said...

I planned on taking the bear as well, but the candy consumption left me a bit ill (watch where you step if you're left of the porch steps).