Friday, September 29

The Grouchy Ladybug

Last month, Ellies favorite books were "The Hungry Caterpillar" and "Cinderella". Ellie's favorite book this month is "The Grouchy Ladybug". I don't know how many times I can read this book.

Eric Carle has a way about his books...repetition! It's fun for kids, but it's torture for those who have to read it to them. I remember doing a bio of our favorite children's author for one of my education courses. Of course, I picked none other than Eric himself...I love, love, love his books, but not so much anymore. In my love for his works, I collected a number of his books which now sit pretty in Ellie's bookshelf.

Maybe she identifies with the grouchy one...sometimes you just feel grouchy for no reason. If you are not familiar with the story, the basic premise of the book is that there is a grouchy ladybug who looks for a fight with other animals. With each page, an hour passes, and the animal gets bigger and bigger.

The grouchy ladybug says, "Hey you, want to fight?" and the other animal responds, "If you insist." The the grouchy ladybug says, "Oh, you're not big enough." and flies away. Imagine repeating those phrases 12 times!

I'm afraid I'll have nightmares about this ladybug crawling up my arm or flying around my face screaming, "Hey you! Want to fight?"

2 comments:

Caffeinator said...

man, that book sounds pretty violent...

debbie said...

lately, i feel like the grouchy ladybug.