Wednesday, August 10

The Conflict Within

Do you remember the scene from Star Wars when Luke Skywalker turns himself in to Lord Vador in hopes to persuade him back? "I can feel it Father...the conflict within you...there is still some good in you, I know it!" And Lord Vador says, "You don't know the power of the Dark Side."

I feel most times like I'm saying this to Ellie. Imagine Ellie as Vador...she wants to do good, but is too tempted by her stubborness and willing to have control over me. Imagine me as Luke...I know she can be turned back to the sweet napper I once knew, but I must not fight her.

Today, I saw Ellie at nap time, in her crib, rubbing her eyes, holding her blanket and lamb near her cheeks, yet forcing herself to stay awake. I said to her, "I can sense it Ellie. The conflict within you. There is still some good in you, I know it!" And Ellie looks to me as if to say, "You don't know the power of the Terrible Two's!"

We also had a face-off during dinner over corn. She wanted to eat one kernel of corn at a time while roaming the house. I wanted her to sit at the table and eat her corn with a fork. She stomped and kicked her feet as she threw her arms up in the air while yelling, "Corn!" I had no choice but to use "The Force". And she sat down and ate her corn.

1 comment:

Caffeinator said...

I have no idea where her family was, since I was not at the wake - and my coworker didn't stick around long enough to find out. I dunno, I guess Jae's got a point, but I still think...well, never mind.

welcome back!