Thursday, January 19

Potty Drama

So as I posted on my xanga, ellie and i have decided to begin potty training...again. It's round 2. She was so excited to wear big kid underwear, but soiled 3 of them before the hour was over. She did amuse me for half an hour on the potty and fell asleep and managed to pee a little bit. I was so happy. Who knew pee would make me happy?

I'm wondering if this kid will ever become potty trained. Ellie has a hard time letting go of objects or ideas once she's connected with it. I doubt she will want to change the comforts and constants in her life such as going potty without her diaper. She likes to feel secure and takes time for her to adjust to new places and people.

I threw out all the tricks up my sleeve yesterday to help her potty train. I'm out of sleeves. So as I'm waiting for her to take initiative to make in the potty, a lot of questions come to me. Should she be in diapers or pull-ups or underwear? I think ellie feels so-so about diapers...she didn't want to wear them unless she had to. She likes the pull-ups because they look more like underwear but doesn't get her wet like underwear, which is the dilemma. She likes underwear even more, but gets upset when she's wet. I don't want her to experience a lot of failures before she's ready to experience some success, but again, the pull-ups don't help her feel when she's wet so she can't tell the discomfort of walking around in wet panties.

Is it true? Is it true that toddlers will just use the potty when they are ready? Will they do it without any prompting? I've heard of stories when it's happened..."just one day he went to the bathroom and used his potty." then i hear, "she needed a lot of encouragement." and then my neighbor's kid (Gavin), his grandmother said she put toys that he was only allowed to play with when he sat on the potty and after a while, he would just go.

I wish I could remember how I was potty trained.

Does anyone have any advice? All suggestions are welcomed.

4 comments:

debbie said...

not to worry, wany. ellie will come around. i was a late bloomer too (i'll tell you in person the story), and i turned out... okay. well, i'm potty-trained, at least. ;P

Anonymous said...

I just finished potty training my daughter. She will be 3 in April. We took her to the potty every 20 min or so. She is very into characters and candy. So we used a Dora potty seat that fits a regular toilet, Princess underwear, and M&Ms everytime she used the potty. It took a couple of marathon potty sessions but once she figured out what her body needs to do to tinkle it went pretty quick after that. I have potty trained two kids. My first took 6 mnths because I started too early. When it is "time" it will be easy. Don't force it.

jon said...

Fear not Queenie! My brother graduated medical school in pull-ups!

Unknown said...

lemme know how this goes...i have a feeling cadence won't make this easy for us...i mean, she JUST started using a sippy cup!

i found these on dr. greene's site:
successfully mastering toilet training
potty training

i think ellie will be just fine...