Friday, September 15

tv for babies

Just recently, I saw a commercial introducing a channel just for babies. Are you kidding me? It's scary how early Ellie is already interested in computer games. Should we just go with the flow knowing how hard and fast technology is advancing or fight it all the way? I have to say sometimes dvd's are a mom's best friend. Stay at home moms are with their kids ALL DAY LONG, meaning ALL DAY LONG.

Sometimes I do feel bad for letting Ellie watch her movies for too long, but I guess as long as she can turn herself away from it when we ask, I know it's not going to develop into a bigger issue later.

Anyways, I'm all supportive about using tv or computers to entertain the kids every so often, it's unrealistic not to, but a baby channel is just going too far. Where should the line be drawn?

And to those parents who swear not to let their kids watch more than 1 or 2 hours of tv or play video games, I applaud you, for you have more strength than I.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you know, wany, one of my biggest regrets is introducing cadence to TV from when she was a few months old. apparently, the american academy of pediatrics recommend NO SCREEN TIME at all until a child is at least TWO years old. there's a group trying to get a warning label put on the baby einstein vides that state this because many parents believe that such videos are good for their child's education. apparently, there isn't any research to back this up, and the AAP is worried about what TV exposure does to such young children's developing brains.

we bought a TV armoire so we could hide the TV, but cadence is still pretty hooked on the boob tube. we considered getting rid of the TV altogether, but i'm quite a movie fan, so i just couldn't do it...

at the same time, i don't think cadence could count to 10 by now if it weren't for sesame street, but does she really need to know how to count already? it's a tough line to walk for us parents, esp. when we've already exposed our kids to so much media.

slacker said...

I saw that channel.. (good thing it's subscription only).

But then I thought... baby channel is not much different than putting Baby Einstein on repeat.