Thursday, February 15

My Ankle

Can you guess which ankle I fractured? Ha ha.
I saw ortho today...a very nice doctor.
Believe me, the swelling has gone down by half. It's not as bad as it looks in the photo...it was taken the day of.
I'm now wearing a black ski-type boot that looks like it's been amputated from Optimus Prime. But hey, I can at least limp around now with my crutches, but I almost want a walker. Oh well. I am free! I am free!
Doctor said I can slowly start putting pressure on my ankle as much as I can tolerate, though I still won't be able to drive or pick up anything or anyone (Kate/Ellie/Jack...boo hoo). I'll have to wear the boot for another 3-4 weeks, but can take it off during showers or at bedtime. It will take a good 6-8 weeks for the fracture to heal but I should be feeling myself again within a few weeks. I think the first 2 weeks will really build our family's character and endurance.
I actually climbed the stairs all by myself today. Woo hoo! I feel alive. I felt like a five year old when Jae carried me up and down the stairs...almost humiliating. I can see why handicapped people either get really angry/depressed or challenged/driven to be more independent.
I really enjoy being waited on hand and foot. At first, I felt awkward receiving so much help. I'm usually the one giving the help, not receiving it, but I have to say, one can get used to this treatment quite fluidly...and I don't feel guilty at all now when I push the big round shiny handicap button to have the doors open automatically for me.
Lastly, I have to have to have to mention what a great help Jae has been. "Did you ever
know that you're my hero? You are the wings beneath my wings." I mean, "You are the wind beneath my wings." Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon!

DS

Caffeinator said...

we left you something by your front door - hope it helps the both of you during this character-building process...

Anonymous said...

So, how is the ankle doing? Looks pretty nasty in that picture!
cynthia