Friday, March 23

I thank the white hair

Astonishing and somewhat comical, my mom told me that if it wasn't for her dad's white head of hair, our family would not be here today. My mom normally says random things that don't make sense so I normally don't pursue the topic. I just give her the "look" and move on, but this statement sent my curiousity to a different level.

According to my mom, during "war time" her father suffered his first stroke at the age of 37. To aid in the healing process, he took many different types of herbal medications, one of which was suspected to cause his hair to prematurely turn gray/white. Soon afterwards, her father was abducted by the Japanese then taken to a form of concentration camp. The Japanese thinking he was an elderly man because of his white hair, thought he would be useless/unable to do any work so he was sent back home.

I guess my grandfather was ovejoyed when he returned, thinking all he had suffered were a few beatings. Soon afterwards my grandmother became pregnant. Lo and behold, my mom was born 9 months later.

My grandfather lived well into his 60's or 70's I believe. Ironically, another stroke ended his life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mom tells lots of 'stories'. However, this one is true.

But one of her fake stories managed to ruin my childhood from the age of 8 thru 14 told in the following manner: "If you don't go to sleep when I tell you, the monsters in your closet will come out in the dark and eat you for dinner."